The best way I find to help this stretch is to visualise how your head sits upon your spine, it can tilt forwards and backwards upon the neck as if on a ‘pivot’.
Stretching the muscles on the right side
- With your right hand, hold your chin as if you are thinking about something, this hand will guide the chin back, up and toward the right side when the stretch is performed.
- With your left hand, hold the back top right side of your head so that it can pull your head down and forwards.
- Pull your head down and forwards with the left hand, whilst using the right hand to pull the chin back up in and to the right (almost using it like a pivot to perform the stretch)
- Feel the stretch at the base of the right side of the skull and hold for 20 seconds. Feel free to play with the angles to hit the right spot.
- Switch your hands around and repeat for the opposite side.
If you would like to find out more about our clinic, or how we could help you, please do not hesitate to get in touch. You can use the contact us page of this website or phone 01452 309372.
All of the exercises detailed here are for specific problems or injuries. It is always recommended to consult your practitioner before attempting any exercises.